(Taken from http://www.michimagic.com/index.htm)
In Ayurveda, there are various recipes for Basti (Ayurvedic enema). I have listed a few of these general recipes, but I must remind you to consult a qualified Ayurvedic Physician, Naturopath, or Medical Doctor if you have any major medical problems. Each recipe has benefits and contraindications. These recipes are not meant to heal or cure any specific illness, but nutritional basti can be used to assist with certain nutritional imbalances.
Basti treatments should not be used with very old or frail people, although a 2 oz. sesame oil basti may be helpful if constipation is a significant issue.
Ayurvedic basti involves the administration of certain herbal preparations in sesame oil into the colon. Basti is the most powerful of the five main procedures of Panchakarma. These medicated enemas are used for various specific purposes. However, in general, Basti treatments are used to promote the elimination of the loosened vata dosha out through the rectum. These vata disorders may include constipation, distention of the colon, chronic fever, the common cold, sexual disorders, kidney stones, heart pain, vomiting, backache, neck pain and hyperacidity.
Since vata is mainly located in the colon and skeletal system, the medication is introduced rectally. When treatment is properly administrated, Basti helps to rejuvenate the body, provide strength and longevity and improve the complexion and the voice. Enemas should not be given to persons suffering from shortness of breath, chronic abdominal pain, bleeding from rectum, cough, diarrhea, or severe anemia.
Types of Enemas
GOOD FOR EVERYONE. Tridoshic Basti
• 4 oz warm sesame oil
• 4 oz organic raw honey
• 4 oz warm purified water
• Mix them very well, administer as enema, and retain about 15 minutes or longer if possible. Mixture should be warm when using. This enema does not have contraindications.
For extreme VATA disorder, such as DEMENTIA or NERVE DISORDER
• 16 oz pure water
• 1 oz anise seeds
• 1 oz ashawaganda
• 1 oz brami
• Simmer with lid on, for 20 minutes, cool to body temperature and strain. Then add
• 2 oz honey
• 2 oz sesame oil
• 1 tsp salt
• Mix well, administer as enema, and retain for about 15 minutes or longer.
• Mixture should be warm when using it.
Oil Basti; used for CONSTIPATION
• 4 oz of warm sesame oil. Retain 30 minutes or longer.
Ghee Basti; mostly for INFLAMMATION COLITIS
• 4 oz of warm ghee. Administer into colon. Retain 30 minutes or longer.
• 2 or 3 capsules of Probiotic
• 4 oz of warm sesame oil,( or olive oil, sunflower oil)
• 2 vitamin E capsules
• 1 teaspoon of Glutamine powder
***If you have inflammation in the colon, add 10 drops of any of the following non-alcoholic herbal tincture: marshmallow root, Echinacea, geranium, goldenseal, comfrey or slippery elm.
• Mix the above ingredients very well, administer as enema, hold as long as possible. If you have colitis, administer every day the first week, then 2 or 3 times a week thereafter.
OTHER NUTRITIVE ENEMAS:
Warm milk, meat broth, bone marrow soup or any other nutritive concoctions may be used in enemas for undernourishment or extreme Vata disorders.
Advise consulting Qualified Ayurvedic Physician before doing this enema.
*** In the west, many people try spirulina, wheatgrass juice, raw coffee, or any other herbs as enema.